"I've been cooking for big gatherings for years...and now that I'm widowed, it's hard to cook for just one or two," admits Trudy Barth of Niceville, Florida. "That's why I appreciate simple recipes like this one, which turns canned apricots into a special side dish."
Recommended: 40 Homemade Drinks That'll Make You Feel Warm & Cozy
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (15 ounces) apricot halves
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 6 whole allspice
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- Drain apricots, reserving syrup; set apricots aside. In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, allspice, cinnamon and reserved syrup. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in apricots. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain if desired. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Spiced Apricots in Taste of Home August/September 2001, p11