"I like unusual desserts like this one," says Mavis Diment of Marcus, Iowa. "Judging from the condition of my recipe card, this must be very good - a messy, well-worn card shows I've made this cake countless times."
Recommended: 24 Upside-Down Desserts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 jar (14 ounces) spiced apple rings
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Whipped cream, optional
- Drain the apple rings, reserving 1 tablespoon syrup; set apple rings aside. Melt 2 tablespoons butter; add brown sugar and reserved syrup. Spread evenly in a greased 8-in. round baking pan; sprinkle with almonds. Top with apple rings; set aside. In a mixing bowl, beat egg, milk, vanilla and remaining butter. Combine flour, sugar and baking powder; add to egg mixture and mix well. Spoon over apple rings. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of pan; invert cake onto a serving plate. Cool. Serve with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Spiced Apple Upside-Down Cake in Taste of Home April/May 1998, p8