- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 1-1/2 cups chopped peeled Granny Smith or other tart apples (about 1 medium)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons reduced-fat whipped topping
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar, applesauce, egg and molasses; mix well. Combine the flours, ginger, baking powder, baking soda and spices; add to the molasses mixture alternately with yogurt, beating just until combined. Fold in the apples.
- Pour into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares; dollop with whipped topping. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews forSpiced Apple Gingerbread
"Used apples that I canned after pressing the cider from them. Doubled the spices, sub. splenda for the sugar and it was terrific. will make often."
"Absolutely delicious and so moist"
"Everyone is always amazed that there are no added fats to this recipe! Totally yummy!"
"I made two kinds of gingerbread for my 1-2 grade class. I thought the standard box mix would be prefered to this stronger flavor, apple filled recipe. I couldn't have been more wrong. They gobbled it up and asked for more! I might cut back on the ginger a little so I can taste the other spices more, but it is definitely going to be a regular for us."