Spiced Apple-Cranberry Crepes
I'm a newlywed and I love to make up recipes. I created this one when having friends over for brunch during the winter. It is so creamy and delicious! —Shannon Oetter, Chicago, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Cook: 45 min.
- 6 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple pie spice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon dried lavender flowers
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 carton (8 ounces) Mascarpone cheese
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large skillet, saute the apples, cranberries, sugar, pie spice, orange zest and lavender in butter until fruit is tender. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, butter and vanilla. Combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder; add to egg mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat a lightly greased 8-in. nonstick skillet; pour 2 tablespoons batter into the center of skillet. Lift and tilt pan to evenly coat bottom. Cook until top appears dry; turn and cook 15-20 seconds longer. Remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter, greasing skillet as needed. When cool, stack crepes with waxed paper or paper towels in between.
- Spread each crepe with 2 teaspoons cheese; top with 3 tablespoons apple mixture and roll up. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired.
Editor's NoteLook for dried lavender flowers in spice shops. If using lavender from the garden, make sure it hasn’t been treated with chemicals.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 337 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 212mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Creamy Apple-Cranberry Crepes in Taste of Home October/November 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.