Fresh carrots and crisp apples combine for wonderful flavor in this unusual casserole with sugar-and-spice goodness. What a nice addition to a special meal!—Barbara Waltz, Cinnaminson, New Jersey
Recommended: Skinny Casseroles That Leave You Guilt-Free
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 medium apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Place 1 in. of water in a saucepan; add carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 7-9 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, ginger and nutmeg.
- In a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer half of the apples and carrots. Sprinkle with half of the brown sugar mixture. Repeat layers. Dot with butter.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until apples are crisp-tender and carrots are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Spiced Apple-Carrot Casserole in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p241