Spiced Apple Butter
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-3/4 hours
- 8 medium apples, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups apple cider or juice
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup dark molasses
- 2-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a large saucepan, combine the apples, apple cider, brown sugar, molasses, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until mixture reaches a thick, spreadable consistency, stirring often.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in raisins and lemon peel. Cool to room temperature. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 49 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 4mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 0 protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.
Mar 11, 2015
I liked the spices in this recipe, but the molasses and nutmeg is a bit too strong. The molasses leaves a funny aftertaste and hides the apple flavor. The nutmeg was a little up front. If I made it again I would cut down on the molasses & nutmeg or leave it out altogether.
Nov 16, 2014
Do not use blackstrap molasses in this recipe! After cooking down, all I could taste was the molasses. In retrospect I realize that blackstrap is the strongest type of molasses, and is not a good choice for baking. I hope to try this recipe again some time, but for now my family said I need to go back to my mother's classic apple butter recipe.
Nov 10, 2013
This is the best apple butter I have tasted. I love the addition of molasses to it, gives it a special flavor. Will definitely be making this again.
Oct 15, 2011
Excellent! Not too sweet. Good mix of spices, great flavor.
Dec 15, 2010
I really like this recipe...it is scrumpious and so easy to put together. I wasn't sure about the molasses but I found great flavor. I will use this recipe again as I like to do homemade gifts from the kitchen.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.