Spiced Apple Bars
From her home in Hilton, New York, Evelyn Winchester bakes chopped walnuts and hearty oats into these moist apple and cinnamon squares.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1-1/2 cups diced peeled tart apple
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in apple and nuts.
- Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 101 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 109mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Spiced Apple Bars in Quick Cooking November/December 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.