Spiced Almond Brittle
I like sending homemade goodies to family and friends. When I couldn’t decide between brittle and spiced nuts, I combined the two into one treat. One batch fills up about six gift tins.—Leslie Dixon, Boise, Idaho
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups unblanched almonds
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Line a 15x10x1-in. pan with parchment paper. (Do not spray or grease.)
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, water, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar. Using a pastry brush dipped in water, wash down the sides of the pan to eliminate sugar crystals. Cook, without stirring, over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 260° (hard-ball stage).
- Stir in almonds, butter and seasonings; cook until thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage), stirring frequently, about 8 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat; stir in baking soda. (Mixture will foam.) Immediately pour onto prepared pan, spreading as thin as possible. Cool completely.
- Break brittle into pieces. Store between layers of waxed paper in airtight containers.
Nutrition Facts1 ounce: 139 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 109mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Spicy Almond Brittle in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.