Spiced Almond Brittle
I like sending homemade goodies to family and friends. When I couldn’t decide between brittle and spiced nuts, I combined the two into one treat. One batch fills up about six gift tins.—Leslie Dixon, Boise, Idaho
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups unblanched almonds
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Line a 15x10x1-in. pan with parchment. (Do not spray or grease.)
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, water, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar. Using a pastry brush dipped in water, wash down the sides of the pan to eliminate sugar crystals. Cook, without stirring, over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 260° (hard-ball stage).
- Stir in almonds, butter and seasonings; cook until thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage), stirring frequently, about 8 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat; stir in baking soda. (Mixture will foam.) Immediately pour onto prepared pan, spreading as thin as possible. Cool completely.
- Break brittle into pieces. Store between layers of waxed paper in airtight containers.