I like sending homemade goodies to family and friends. When I couldn’t decide between brittle and spiced nuts, I combined the two into one treat. One batch fills up about six gift tins.—Leslie Dixon, Boise, Idaho
Featured In: 20 Recipes for Homemade Christmas Candy
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups unblanched almonds
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Line a 15x10x1-in. pan with parchment paper. (Do not spray or grease.)
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, water, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar. Using a pastry brush dipped in water, wash down the sides of the pan to eliminate sugar crystals. Cook, without stirring, over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 260° (hard-ball stage).
- Stir in almonds, butter and seasonings; cook until thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage), stirring frequently, about 8 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat; stir in baking soda. (Mixture will foam.) Immediately pour onto prepared pan, spreading as thin as possible. Cool completely.
- Break brittle into pieces. Store between layers of waxed paper in an airtight container. Yield: 1-1/4 pounds.
Originally published as Spiced Almond Brittle in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2014
Reviews forSpiced Almond Brittle
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 4, 2017
"Time stated wasn’t accurate. Second recipe I tried but this one started to scorch early on. Same pan, same temp as first recipe."