A neighbor served us this turkey several years ago. My family has requested the "lemon filled one" ever since! —Susan Greishaw, Archer, Florida
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 turkey (14 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 small lemons
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- In a small bowl combine the first five ingredients. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from the turkey; rub half the spice mixture under the skin.
- Brush turkey with oil. Rub remaining spice mixture over turkey. Place lemons inside the neck and body cavity. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together.
- Arrange onions in a shallow roasting pan coated with cooking spray. Place turkey, breast side up, over onions.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thigh reads 180°, basting occasionally with pan drippings. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes before carving.
- Remove lemons from cavity. When cool enough to handle, halve lemons and squeeze juice over turkey if desired. Discard onions. Yield: 28 servings.
Originally published as Spice-Rubbed Turkey in Healthy Cooking October/November 2012, p8
Reviews forSpice-Rubbed Turkey
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 23, 2013
"I would also use butter with the spices . This helps maintain moisture in the meat . Spread under the skin with the spices ."