A neighbor served us this turkey several years ago. My family has requested the "lemon filled one" ever since! —Susan Greishaw, Archer, Florida
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 3-1/2 hours + standing
- 6 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 turkey (14 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 small lemons
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- In a small bowl combine the first five ingredients. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from the turkey; rub half the spice mixture under the skin.
- Brush turkey with oil. Rub remaining spice mixture over turkey. Place lemons inside the neck and body cavity. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together.
- Arrange onions in a shallow roasting pan coated with cooking spray. Place turkey, breast side up, over onions.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thigh reads 180°, basting occasionally with pan drippings. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes before carving.
- Remove lemons from cavity. When cool enough to handle, halve lemons and squeeze juice over turkey if desired. Discard onions.
Nutrition Facts4 ounces cooked turkey (calculated without skin): 208 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 586mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 33g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat.
Originally published as Mediterranean Turkey in Healthy Cooking October/November 2012