Spice Raisin Cake
Bernice Morris from Marshfield, Missouri sent in her aunt's recipe for a moist spiced dessert with plenty of raisins. It's so satisfying you won't know the sugar was replaced with sweetener. -Bernice Morris, Marshfield, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 cups raisins
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- Liquid artificial sweetener equivalent to 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a saucepan over medium heat, cook raisins and water until water is absorbed. Transfer to a bowl; add applesauce, oil, egg substitute, sweetener and vanilla. Combine the remaining ingredients; add to applesauce mixture and stir well. Pour into a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 221 calories, 12g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 182mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 starch, 1 fruit.
Originally published as Raisin Spice Cake in Quick Cooking November/December 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.