Spice Mix for Chili Recipe
This spice mix comes from my mother's chili recipe, which is fantastic. It'll make a great gift for the hearty eaters you know, especially if you pair it with a loaf of bread. —Vivian Huizinga, Shallow Lake, Ontario
- 3-1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 3-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons each salt, onion powder, pepper, ground cumin, paprika and dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms, optional
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) hot chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a small bowl, combine all of the seasonings. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 3 batches (about 6 tablespoons total).
- 2. To prepare chili: In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cook the beef, onion and mushrooms if desired over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 3. Stir in the tomatoes, beans, soup, 2 tablespoons spice mix, Worcestershire sauce and garlic. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Garnish with cheese. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Spice Mix for Chili
Reviewed Aug. 27, 2016
"This is a great blend for a chili mix! We have used this recipe a few times now & I plan on gifting it to family for their holiday food gift baskets!"
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC