Turkey Italian sausage and jalapeno peppers add kick to this chunky soup. "The original recipe called for a lot of butter and three cooking pots. I eliminated the butter and tossed the ingredients together in just one pot," says Guyla Cooper from Enville, Tennessee. "My husband really enjoys this meaty soup, so I make plenty and freeze what's left over in individual servings for his lunches."
Recommended: 25 Soups to Keep You Warm This Fall
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound uncooked hot turkey Italian sausage links, sliced
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a Dutch oven, cook the sausage, beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Spice It Up Soup in Light & Tasty April/May 2002, p54
Reviews forSpice It Up Soup
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 30, 2011
"This is a very tasty recipe! My husband & I both loved it (he suggested that beans: Kidney, Pinto or chili Beans would be a nice addition)."