Spice It Up Soup
My husband really enjoys this turkey soup, so I make plenty and freeze what's left over in individual servings for his lunches. The original recipe called for a lot of butter and three cooking pots. I eliminated the butter and tossed the ingredients together in just one pot. —Guyla Cooper, Enville, Tennessee
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes8 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 pound uncooked hot turkey Italian sausage links, sliced
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a Dutch oven, cook the sausage, beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 222 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 1153mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Spice It Up Soup in Light & Tasty April/May 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.