Spice-Crusted Steaks with Cherry Sauce
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 45 min.
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup port wine, warmed
- 3-1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coffee
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mustard
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks (1-1/4 inches thick and 6 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Crumbled blue cheese, optional
- In a small bowl, combine cherries and wine; set aside. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the pepper, brown sugar, garlic powder, paprika, coffee, salt, cinnamon, cumin and mustard. Add steaks, one at a time, and shake to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Place oil in a 10-in. cast-iron skillet; tilt to coat bottom. Heat oil over medium-high heat; sear steaks for 2 minutes on each side. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Remove steaks and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute shallot in butter until crisp-tender. Add broth and thyme. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 8 minutes. Stir in cream; bring to a boil. Cook for 8 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the reserved cherry mixture. Serve sauce over steaks. Sprinkle with blue cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 steak with 3 tablespoons sauce (calculated without blue cheese): 506 calories, 28g fat (13g saturated fat), 124mg cholesterol, 381mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 39g protein.
Originally published as Pepper-Crusted Beef Tenderloin with Cherry Cheese Sauce in Fresh Home Winter 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.