Speedy Ham Slice
"This recipe comes in handy when the kids stay with Grandma and only the two of us are home for dinner," says Heather Campbell of Lawrence, Kansas.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 pound fully cooked ham slice, cut in half
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon water
- In a microwave-safe baking dish, combine the orange juice, brown sugar, orange zest and ginger. Add ham slice, turning to coat with sauce. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Cover and microwave on high for 1 minute on each side. Microwave at 50% power for 2 minutes, spooning sauce over ham once. Remove ham and keep warm.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Microwave, uncovered, at 50% power for 10 seconds; stir. Cook 20 seconds longer or until thickened. Serve over ham.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1/4 pound: 265 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 1574mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 23g protein.
Originally published as Speedy Ham Slice in Cooking for 2 Spring 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.