Speedy Ham and Macaroni
"I came up with this colorful stovetop dinner on a day I needed to get supper together in a jiffy," says Vicky Hartel, Caledonia, Wisconsin, a busy mother of three. "I save time by cooking the broccoli along with the macaroni."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3 cups frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook macaroni in boiling water for 5 minutes. Add broccoli; return to a boil. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until macaroni is tender; drain. Return to the pan. Combine soup, milk, butter, nutmeg, garlic powder and pepper; add to macaroni mixture with ham. mix well; heat through. Garnish with Parmesan cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 249 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 995mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Speedy Ham and Macaroni in Quick Cooking July/August 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.