After I read an article in Country EXTRA about a church group in Tennessee that made apple butter, I thought I would share a recipe I’ve used for many years. This shortcut version only takes about a half hour to make, and it starts with applesauce. I make my own sauce from the Golden Delicious apple tree in my yard. I hope someone who just wants to remember the taste of “homemade” apple butter, but in a small amount, will enjoy it.
Recommended: 33 Non-Scary Bread Recipes Anyone Can Bake
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes, stirring every 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool. Store in airtight containers in the refrigerator. Yield: 1-1/2 cups.
Originally published as Speedy Apple Butter in Country Extra March 2006, p51
Reviews forSpeedy Apple Butter
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review