Biting into this melt-in-your-mouth treat is like having coffee and dessert together. To avoid the holiday baking crunch, you can make it ahead of time and store it in the freezer until you are ready to serve.
Recommended: Apple Pie-Inspired Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 16 squares)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 pint coffee ice cream or flavor of your choice, softened
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream or flavor of your choice, softened
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, walnuts and butter; press onto the bottom and up the sides of a grease 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes. Cool completely.
- Spread coffee ice cream over crust. Freeze for 2 hours or until firm. Repeat with vanilla ice cream. Remove pie from the freezer 15 minutes before serving.
- For sauce, combine butter and brown sugar in a saucepan; cook and stir over low heat for 5-6 minutes. Remove from the heat; slowly stir in cream. Cook and stir 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat; stir in walnuts and vanilla. Serve warm over slices of pie. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Spectacular Ice Cream Pie in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2000, p43