Special Wild Rice Salad
"A friend fixed this for a company outing a few years ago, and it has since become my favorite picnic salad," writes Suzanne Strocsher of Bothell, Washington. Jars of marinated mushrooms and artichoke hearts, along with fresh vegetables, turn prepared rice mix into something special.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Cook: 25 min.
- 2 packages (6 ounces each) long grain and wild rice mix
- 2 to 3 ripe avocados, peeled and chopped
- 1 jar (8 ounces) marinated whole mushrooms, undrained
- 1 jar (6-1/2 ounces) marinated artichoke hearts, undrained
- 1 to 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 to 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
- Prepare rice according to package directions. Cool; place in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 168 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 502mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Special Wild Rice Salad in Quick Cooking July/August 1999
Jul 26, 2011
This is a delicious salad!!! I only wish that my guests hadn't eaten it all so there weren't any leftovers! I'll make it again soon.
May 31, 2010
I brought this to a pool party and folks asked me for the recipe.