Special Stuffed French Toast Recipe
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 cups pitted frozen tart cherries, thawed
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 12 slices Texas toast
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1. For cherry sauce, combine 1 cup sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Stir in the water until smooth. Add cherries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Spread over six slices of bread; top with remaining bread. In a shallow bowl, whisk the egg, milk and remaining sugar. Dip both sides of bread into egg mixture.
- 3. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, toast bread on both sides until golden brown. Serve with cherry sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
1 filled pita half: 637 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 521mg sodium, 109g carbohydrate (70g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
Reviews for Special Stuffed French Toast
"Oh my...this recipe is amazing! I wanted to recreate the Stuffed Cherry French Toast we enjoyed on vacation, and this recipe came pretty close! I reduced the powered sugar in the cream cheese mixture to 3/4 cup and added 1/4 cup of chopped cherries (from the 4 cups of cherries). I used regular white bread instead of Texas toast and added an extra egg yolk to the egg-milk mixture. The recipe took a little more time than some to prepare, but was definitely worth it. As a Volunteer Field Editor for Taste of Home, I highly recommend this recipe!"
"This is a delicious recipe. I ended up using strawberries instead of frozen cherries, but it was still amazing."
"This was good. I ended up using milk, sweetened condensed milk and vanilla extract to mix with the egg. it was very tasty and looked impressive too!"
"I made this with frozen sliced strawberries and fresh bananas instead of cherries (I added the bananas right before serving) and it was very good."
"WE MAKE IT WITH BANANAS OR STRAWBERRIES. SELOGY"