After simmering in the slow cooker for hours, the rump roast is fork tender and has taken on some of the flavors of the sauce. My family looks forward to having it for dinner. I serve with mashed potatoes and corn.— Laura Ehlers, Lafayette, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 to 4 pounds), cut in half
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1/3 cup shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed pickling spices
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides. Transfer meat and drippings to a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the vinegar, onion, sugar, soup mix, carrot, bouillon, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings; pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until tender.
- Remove meat to a serving platter; keep warm. Strain cooking juices, discarding vegetables and seasonings.
- Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer juices to a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with beef.
Nutrition Facts6 ounces cooked beef with 2/3 cup gravy: 470 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 1706mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 1g fiber), 46g protein.
Originally published as Special Sauerbraten in Slow Cooker Throughout the Year
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.