These satisfying sub sandwiches from our Test Kitchen staff are a study in simplicity. Offering the seasoned mayonnaise and submarine sandwich dressing on the side makes it easy for guests to personalize their helpings and serve themselves. Look for bottles of submarine salad dressing in the deli section of many grocery stores...or use bottled Italian dressing as an easy alternative.
Recommended: 50 Secret Recipes for Classic Diner Foods
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) French bread
- 10 slices deli smoked turkey, halved
- 10 slices deli roast beef, halved
- 20 small lettuce leaves
- 10 slices Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, halved
- 10 slices cheddar cheese, halved
- 2 cups roasted sweet red peppers, drained and patted dry
- 3/4 cup mild pickled pepper rings
- GARLIC-LIME MAYONNAISE:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 bottle (5 ounces) submarine sandwich dressing
- Cut each loaf into 22 slices, leaving slices attached at the bottom (cut off and discard end pieces). Between every other slice of bread, place a piece of turkey and beef, a lettuce leaf, a piece of each kind of cheese, red peppers and pepper rings.
- In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, sour cream, lime juice, garlic and chili powder. To serve, cut completely through the bread between the plain slices. Serve with mayonnaise mixture and submarine dressing. Yield: 20 sandwiches.
Originally published as Special Sandwich Loaves in Simple & Delicious May/June 2006, p48
Reviews forSpecial Sandwich Loaves
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 6, 2009
"Try the garlic lime dressing."