Special Romaine Salad
This jazzed-up romaine salad with homemade croutons is loaded with flavor. Curry powder gives the dressing zip, while crumbled blue cheese adds richness.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min.
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 slices Italian bread (3/4 inch thick), cubed
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons buttermilk
- 4 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons onion soup mix
- 1/8 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 8 cups torn romaine
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine oil and garlic powder. Add bread cubes; toss to coat. Arrange in a single layer on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 325° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- For salad dressing, in a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, buttermilk, grated Parmesan cheese, soup mix, curry and anchovy paste. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- In a salad bowl, combine romaine and blue cheese. Drizzle with dressing; toss to coat. Garnish with shredded Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 189 calories, 16g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 300mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Modern Caesar Salad in Country Woman Christmas 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.