Special Pepper Salad
Strips of lean ham and Swiss cheese enhance the sweet pepper mix in this refreshing salad from field editor Cheryl Maczko of Arthurdale, West Virginia. This is even better served the next day," Cheryl notes.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. chilling
- 1 each small green, sweet red and yellow pepper, julienned
- 1 banana peppers, seeded and cut into rings
- 1/4 pound fully cooked lean ham, cut into 2-inch strips
- 2 ounces Swiss cheese, cut into 2-inch strips
- 1 small red onion, julienned
- 1/4 cup canned chopped green chilies, drained
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh dill
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 to 5 hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a large salad bowl, combine the peppers, ham, cheese, onion and chilies. In a blender, combine dressing ingredients; cover and process until blended. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 149 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 262mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat.
Originally published as Special Pepper Salad in Taste of Home February/March 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.