Special Mushroom Lasagna
This rich, cheesy recipe proves that casseroles can be both convenient and classy. If you want to take it even further, stir in fresh crabmeat. —Amanda Blair, Lebanon, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 2 hours Bake: 55 min. + standing
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3-1/2 pounds sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup marsala wine
- 8 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 12 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup minced chives
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 ounces fresh crabmeat, optional
- CRUMB TOPPING:
- 1 French bread demi-baguette (about 4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup minced chives
- In a Dutch oven, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onion; saute until tender. Add wine, four minced garlic cloves and minced onion; bring to a boil. Cook until liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt remaining butter. Stir in next five ingredients and remaining garlic until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Stir in next six ingredients until blended. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Drain lasagna noodles. Spread 1 cup cream cheese sauce in a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Layer with three noodles, 1 cup sauce, a third of the mushroom mixture and 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers, adding crabmeat, if desired, between mushrooms and Parmesan. Layer with three more noodles, 1 cup sauce, remaining mushroom mixture and remaining Parmesan cheese. Top with remaining noodles and sauce.
- For crumb topping, pulse baguette, cheese and butter in a food processor until finely chopped. Stir in chives. Sprinkle over lasagna. Bake, covered, about 50 minutes. Uncover; bake until bubbly, 5-10 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 423 calories, 22g fat (13g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 616mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 17g protein.
Originally published as Go Big or Go Home Mushroom Lasagna in Taste of Home April/May 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.