Special Holiday Fruitcake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) pitted dates, chopped
- 1 pound chopped candied pineapple
- 1 pound red candied cherries
- 1/2 pound walnut halves
- 1/2 pound Brazil nuts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Dash salt
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300°. Grease well and flour two 8x4-in. loaf pans. In a large bowl, combine dates, pineapple, cherries and nuts. In a small bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; stir into fruit mixture until well coated.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks until slightly thickened. In another bowl, beat egg whites and vanilla until stiff peaks form. With a spatula, stir a fourth of the egg whites into egg yolk mixture until no white streaks remain. Fold in remaining egg whites until combined. Add to fruit mixture; gently fold until blended. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans 20 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Wrap tightly and store in a cool, dry place. Using a serrated knife, cut into slices.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 349 calories, 13g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 73mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (45g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Jan 3, 2015
This is beyond delicious! I cut back on the sugar some and it was awesome! I also soaked my candied fruit in tea and it gave a rich flavor. I also later added Rum flavor! My family is still craving this! *Note*: I did have to lower my temperature twice when baking so the cake would not burn.
Dec 31, 2013
I have made a recipe very similar to this for the past 25 years. People who don't like fruitcake seem to like it. I will continue to make it.
Jan 14, 2012
This recipe is all fruit and very little cake/binder. It is EXCELLENT. A true fruitcake lover will love this recipe! It is expensive to make, but worth every cent!
Apr 13, 2011
I followed the directions and it turned out to be a ball of sticky stuff. The top and sides were burning before the inside was done. Not sure what went wrong.
Dec 16, 2010
Delicious fruitcake with a nice texture.
Oct 13, 2009
I think it is ridiculous to have to sign up for a subscription to look at some recipes on this site, I have been a loyal subscriber of TOH for 4 years.
Dec 4, 2008
This is very good.
Dec 3, 2008
I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY I HAD TO APPLY FOR ANOTHER SUBSCRIPTION IN ORDER TO LOOK AT RECIPES.SARA HUTH
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.