- 2 packages (8 ounces each) pitted dates, chopped
- 1 pound chopped candied pineapple
- 1 pound red candied cherries
- 1/2 pound walnut halves
- 1/2 pound Brazil nuts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Dash salt
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the dates, pineapple, cherries and nuts. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; stir into fruit mixture until well coated.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks until slightly thickened. In another bowl, beat egg whites and vanilla until stiff peaks form. With a spatula, stir a fourth of the egg whites into egg yolk mixture until no white streaks remain. Fold in remaining egg whites until combined. Add to fruit mixture; gently fold until blended. Pour into two well-greased and floured 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans.
- Bake at 300° for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 20 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Wrap tightly and store in a cool dry place. Using a serrated knife, cut into slices. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Reviews forSpecial Holiday Fruitcake
"I have made a recipe very similar to this for the past 25 years. People who don't like fruitcake seem to like it. I will continue to make it."
"This recipe is all fruit and very little cake/binder. It is EXCELLENT. A true fruitcake lover will love this recipe! It is expensive to make, but worth every cent!"
"I followed the directions and it turned out to be a ball of sticky stuff. The top and sides were burning before the inside was done. Not sure what went wrong."
"Delicious fruitcake with a nice texture."
"I think it is ridiculous to have to sign up for a subscription to look at some recipes on this site, I have been a loyal subscriber of TOH for 4 years."
"This is very good."
"I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY I HAD TO APPLY FOR ANOTHER SUBSCRIPTION IN ORDER TO LOOK AT RECIPES.SARA HUTH"