Special Eggplant Subs Recipe
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 submarine sandwich buns (10 inches), split
- Leaf lettuce
- 1 jar (7-1/4 ounces) roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) chopped ripe olives, drained
- Italian or vinaigrette salad dressing
- 1. In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs. Place bread crumbs in another bowl. Dip eggplant slices into egg, then coat with crumbs. Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until crispy. Cool. On the bottom of each bun, layer lettuce, eggplant, red peppers, cheese, tomatoes and olives. Sprinkle with salad dressing; replace bun tops. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 770 calories, 25g fat (10g saturated fat), 150mg cholesterol, 1569mg sodium, 102g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 8g fiber), 31g protein.
Reviews for Special Eggplant Subs
"I use this recipe to start eggplant parmigiana instead of making the sandwiches. Tonight I knew I was going to write this review so I noticed some details. For example, I am making a small casserole, so I only needed one egg and about 3/4 cup of bread crumbs. My eggplant weighed 3/4 pound. After the slices bake, I layer the slices with spaghetti sauce and shredded mozzarella. Then I bake about 30 minutes more so everything is heated through and the cheese is melted. Yum!"