- 2 eggs
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 submarine sandwich buns (10 inches), split
- Leaf lettuce
- 1 jar (7-1/4 ounces) roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
- 8 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 can (4-1/4 ounces) chopped ripe olives, drained
- Italian or vinaigrette salad dressing
- In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs. Place bread crumbs in another bowl. Dip eggplant slices into egg, then coat with crumbs. Place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until crispy. Cool. On the bottom of each bun, layer with lettuce, eggplant, red peppers, cheese, tomatoes and olives. Drizzle with salad dressing; replace bun tops. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forSpecial Eggplant Subs
"I use this recipe to start eggplant parmigiana instead of making the sandwiches. Tonight I knew I was going to write this review so I noticed some details. For example, I am making a small casserole, so I only needed one egg and about 3/4 cup of bread crumbs. My eggplant weighed 3/4 pound. After the slices bake, I layer the slices with spaghetti sauce and shredded mozzarella. Then I bake about 30 minutes more so everything is heated through and the cheese is melted. Yum!"