Special Cookie Bars
In Casper, Wyoming, Mary Haass Valstad uses four types of chips to create these yummy treats. "I made these sweet bars when I needed quick holiday gifts for teachers," she explains. "The teachers requested them over and over-even after our children were no longer their students!"
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 2 cups finely crushed cornflakes
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup each milk chocolate chips, peanut butter chips and white baking chips
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped mixed nuts
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- In a large bowl, combine the cornflake crumbs, butter and sugar. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with chips, coconut and nuts. Drizzle with milk.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack before cutting.
Editor's Note: Any combination of baking chips equal to 1 cup may be used.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 209 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 181mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Special Cookie Bars in Quick Cooking September/October 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.