Special Coconut Ice Cream
This refreshing ice cream is a special treat on a warm summer day.—Sandra Pichon, Slidell, Louisiana
Total TimePrep:15 min. + chilling Process: 20 min./batch + freezing
Makesabout 3 quarts
- 6 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 eggs
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- In a large saucepan, combine the first four ingredients. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat. In a bowl, beat the eggs and yolks. Stir 1 cup hot cream mixture into eggs; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and a thermometer reads 160°. Cool. Refrigerate overnight.
- In a bowl, beat whipping cream and extracts until stiff peaks form. Fold into egg mixture with coconut. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Transfer to a 4-qt. freezer container; freeze for at least 4 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 298 calories, 20g fat (13g saturated fat), 149mg cholesterol, 105mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Coconut Ice Cream in Taste of Home August/September 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.