VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 2/3 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon water
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in vanilla and salt. Add flour; mix well. Cover and refrigerate.
- For filling, melt the chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave or double boiler until smooth. Remove from the heat; reserve 1/4 cup for glaze. To remaining chocolate, add pecans, milk, vanilla and salt; blend well. Cover and refrigerate until cool, about 15 minutes.
- Place a 16-in. x 12-in. piece of foil in a greased baking sheet; lightly sprinkle with flour. Divide dough in half; place one portion on foil. Roll into a 14-in. x 5-in. rectangle. Spread half of the filling lengthwise on half of the dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Using foil, fold dough over filling; seal edges. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- For glaze, warm reserved chocolate; stir in corn syrup and water. Spread over cookies. Cool completely. Cut crosswise into 3/4-in. strips. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Special Chocolate Treats in Taste of Home February/March 1998, p67
Reviews forSpecial Chocolate Treats
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review