Special Birthday Cake
"My mother shared this recipe with me, and it's been a family favorite for years," writes Midge Crookshanks of Rupert, West Virginia. "We use it for almost any celebration."
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1/3 cup vanilla or white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- WHITE CHOCOLATE FROSTING:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon evaporated milk
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups vanilla or white chocolate chips
- 2-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, combine the chips and water; stir until chips are melted. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add melted chip mixture, buttermilk and vanilla; beat well. Combine flour and baking soda; gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into the creamed mixture.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, combine the sugar, milk and butter in a saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute; remove from the heat. Stir in chips and vanilla until smooth; cool. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 639 calories, 33g fat (20g saturated fat), 121mg cholesterol, 355mg sodium, 79g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Special Birthday Cake in Your Family Premiere 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.