Special Beef Wraps
From Dian Halferty of Tucson, Arizona, these hearty bundles burst with grilled steak, tangy pineapple and crunchy nuts.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating Grill: 20 min. + standing
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 pounds)
- 2 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 cup water
- 8 green onion tops
- 3/4 cup pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 cup honey-roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 8 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- In a 2-cup measuring cup, combine the vinegar, soy sauce, lime juice, oil and honey. Pour 1-1/4 cups into a shallow dish; add steak and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours. In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, sliced green onions and remaining marinade. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a small skillet, bring water to a boil. Add onion tops; boil for 30-60 seconds. Drain and immediately place in ice water. Drain and pat dry; set aside.
- Drain and discard marinade from steak. Grill, uncovered, over medium heat, or broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 7-10 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°).
- Let stand for 10 minutes; thinly slice across the grain. Layer with beef, lettuce mixture, pineapple and nuts on each tortilla. Fold one end over filling, then fold in sides. Tie with an onion top.
Nutrition Facts1 wrap: 427 calories, 19g fat (5g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 485mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Special Beef Wraps in Crafting Traditions May/June 2002