- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 4 medium)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped pecans, divided
- ORANGE GLAZE:
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Fold in 1 cup pecans.
- Transfer to two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Sprinkle with remaining pecans. Bake loaves, covering with foil if they darken too rapidly, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 1-1-1/4 hours. Cool 10 minutes before removing to wire racks.
- While loaves are still slightly warm, whisk glaze ingredients. Drizzle over loaves, using a baking pan or parchment paper under racks to catch excess. Cool completely. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Reviews forSpecial Banana Nut Bread
"The best banana nut bread ever! The only change that I made was the nuts. I put the whole cup in the batter but didn't put any on the top until I glazed the loaves and then I only sprinkled a few. Utterly delicious******"
"Been using this recipe for over five years. Best ever! Started out following recipe then changed!! Have put in chocolate chips ,left out nuts, when did use nuts it was mostly pecans, and just lightly put sugar on bottom and sides. Not too many changes because it is great as is. I just made another copy of recipe."
"Made for teachers along with several other banana bread recipes and this was the first thing gone. Very delicious!"
"Very moist and delicious. Will definitely make again, but would pierce the crust prior to putting on the glaze so it get down into the bread."
"This is very good. I left off the glaze, used walnuts instead of pecans and reduced the sugar to 1 1/2 c. Very moist and more dense which we liked. Will definitely be a regular treat!"
"This is delicious. It is the best banana bread recipe I have found.The orange glaze on top makes it really special."
"Loved this with the touch of orange, made it different than the basic banana nut breads. I also read the recipe wrong and put all of the pecans into the batter and had to add more to the top. Not a problem for me!"
"I've made Banana bread for years, and this is the best I've ever tasted. My friends LOVED it also."
"She was probably baking and texting and missed a task!!"