Spatchcocked Herb-Roasted Turkey
This moist and tender turkey cooks up with even browning and crispy skin in half the time of a whole turkey. —Matthew Hass, Ellison Bay, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 1-1/4 hours + standing
- 1 turkey (12 to 14 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- Place turkey with its breast side down and tail end facing you on a work surface. Using kitchen shears, cut along each side of backbone; remove and save for making gravy. Turn turkey over so breast side is up; flatten by pressing down firmly on breastbone until it cracks. Twist and tuck wings under to secure in place.
- Mix remaining ingredients; rub onto all sides of turkey. Transfer turkey to a rack in a foil-lined rimmed baking pan. Refrigerate, uncovered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450°. Remove turkey from refrigerator while oven heats. Roast until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours. Remove turkey from oven; let stand 15 minutes before carving.
Nutrition Facts7 ounces cooked turkey: 399 calories, 18g fat (5g saturated fat), 184mg cholesterol, 1210mg sodium, 0 carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 54g protein.
Originally published as Spatchcocked Herb Roasted Turkey in Taste of Home November 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.