This is an old Southern recipe my mother passed on to me many, many years ago. It's especially good for a Saturday night supper.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 4 to 5 pounds pork spareribs, cut into individual ribs
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 5 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 6 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Sprinkle ribs with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a large skillet, brown ribs in 3 tablespoons oil in batches. Place ribs on a rack in shallow roasting pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes. Turn ribs; bake 20 minutes longer. Pat dry.
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in remaining oil until tender. Stir in the flour, parsley, and remaining salt and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain potatoes; place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with sauce and ribs.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with paprika. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until ribs are tender and potatoes are heated through.