This is an old Southern recipe my mother passed on to me many, many years ago. It's especially good for a Saturday night supper.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 4 to 5 pounds pork spareribs, cut into individual ribs
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 5 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 6 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Sprinkle ribs with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a large skillet, brown ribs in 3 tablespoons oil in batches. Place ribs on a rack in shallow roasting pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes. Turn ribs; bake 20 minutes longer. Pat dry.
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in remaining oil until tender. Stir in the flour, parsley, and remaining salt and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain potatoes; place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with sauce and ribs.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with paprika. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until ribs are tender and potatoes are heated through.
Nutrition Facts10 ounce-weight: 884 calories, 58g fat (20g saturated fat), 188mg cholesterol, 982mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 48g protein.
Originally published as Sparerib Casserole in Casserole Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.