Spanish Rice with Turkey
"Not everyone in the family cared for Spanish rice until they tried this hearty version," says Sylvia Wallace of Adams, New York. "Now instead of complaints, I hear, 'More, please'."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups cooked long grain brown rice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the turkey, onion, green pepper and garlic powder over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the next six ingredients. bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 308 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 384mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 vegetable.
Originally published as Spanish Rice with Turkey in Taste of Home December/January 2001