In Siloam Springs, Arkansas, David Bias adds bacon to this zippy rice dish for a flavorful change of pace. "Being big fans of Mexican food, my family loves this recipe," he shares.
Recommended: 30 Quick Dinners Ready in 30 Minutes or Less
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels. Add oil to the drippings; saute onion for 3 minutes. Add rice; stir until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until rice is tender. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Spanish Rice with Bacon in Quick Cooking March/April 2003, p36