- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels. Add oil to the drippings; saute onion for 3 minutes. Add rice; stir until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until rice is tender. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSpanish Rice with Bacon
"Anything tastes better with bacon - including rice! This adds a nice twist to Spanish Rice. We used only one jalapeno because we didn't want too much fire. You can also adjust the chili powder to regulate the amount of heat."