- 2 packages (6.8 ounces each) Spanish rice and pasta mix
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 3 cups cubed cooked turkey or chicken
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- In a large skillet, saute rice and vermicelli in butter until golden brown. Gradually stir in the water, tomatoes and contents of rice seasoning packets. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the turkey, corn, sour cream and 1/2 cup cheese. Stir in rice mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese (dish will be full). Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forSpanish Rice Turkey Casserole
"I make my own Mexican rice. Very easy. First roast the rice and vermicelli (broken spaghetti) in the dry pan used to cook the rice. Add 2 cups of broth to one cup rice/verm mixture. I add chile powder, cumin and oregano. Cook the rice before adding the tomato products because the acidic nature of tomatoes will cause the rice to take longer to cook. I would use less water to cook the rice because more liquid will be added later."
"I rarely try a recipe online that is so good the first time you make it! I used leftover homemade Spanish rice and added a little chicken broth. I also doubled the cheese -- 1 cup in the mix and 1 cup sprinkled on top. I used 1/2 can creamed corn instead of whole kernel. (Used the other half to go in my Mexican cornbread to go with it.) I only used about 2 cups chicken and it was plenty. This recipe is a keeper and we loved it!"
"Mi y mi amiga hizo este receta. Me encanta la receta porque es muy facil cocinar. Tom?a mas or menos un hora que preparar. Mi cosa favorita del receta es los ingredientes fui mullido pero la maize a?adido poco mascar."
"Every time I share this dish I get asked for the recipe. This is one of my sons favorite dishes. I use fresh sweet corn instead of canned. Yummy."