Spanish Rice Supper
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3 cups instant brown rice
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato puree
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 envelope chili seasoning
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the rice, tomato puree, water, chilies, olives and chili seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Remove from the heat. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 380 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 741mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 24g protein.
Jul 9, 2018
My family loves this version of Spanish Rice. I did tweek it a bit by adding onions when I browned the meat, a teaspoon of chipotle chili pepper, minced garlic and some beef base mixed with the water. It kicks the flavor up a couple of notches. Yum! Thanks for sharing.
May 18, 2009
This is really good. Even my son-in-law who isn't a fan of olives, chilis, or casseroles went back for a second helping! It makes a lot, too.