- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) tomatoes with liquid, diced
- 1 can (10 ounces) tomatoes with green chilies with liquid, diced or 1 can (8 ounces) tomatoes with liquid, diced
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp. Drain fat. Add all remaining ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat, until rice is tender, about 35-40 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent scorching. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Reviews forSpanish Rice Dish
"I made quite a few modifications to suit my taste and halved the recipe. Sauteed onion, frozen peas n carrots in olive oil. Added some garlic and rice till browned. Instead of the extra can of tomatoes plus or minus the green chilies, i used 1 cup chicken broth. Instead of tomato sauce i used 1 tbsp tomato paste. Covered, brought to a boil then turned heat to low and set the timer for 20 minites. After the 20 minutes undisturbed, turned heat off and came back 10 minutes later to fluff with a fork. Didn't use green chilies or bacon. It was really good and easy to make!"
"Keep this dish covered while it is cooking! It will save on time, but dish taste great!!"
"Excellent recipe! Couldn't be any easiser.... just put everything in a pot and simmer. I was so glad to find a spanish rice recipe that called for regular rice instead of instant. I did not use any bacon. I used Basmati rice and instead of using 2 large cans of diced tomatoes, I used only 1 and added 2 cups of chicken broth along with the sauce and diced tomatoes w/green chilies. I couldn't find canned chopped green chilies so I used 1/4 cup of sliced canned jalapenos that I chopped. I also added cumin, garlic powder and kidney beans like one reviewer suggested. I ommitted the salt d/t using the broth. The flavor was outstanding. It had a nice bite to it because of the jalapenos and we topped it with a dollop of sour cream. My husband and I wanted something other than just steamed rice and this really hit the spot. Another great recipe to fall back onto!"
"I thought this needed a lot of help... I had to work on it for a while before I got it to taste like good spanish rice. looking for a better recipe.."
"Love this recipe!!!"
"I halved the recipe. And made a couple of additions, I added cumin, and garlic powder. Plus when it was done I added a can of drained and rinsed kidney beans.Actually, it could be a complete meal, by the addition of dry cooked beans. Because beans and rice make a complete protein. Will definitely make this again."