Spanish Beef Hash
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cups chopped sweet yellow, red and/or green peppers
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 small potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2/3 cup chopped pitted green olives
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- Hot cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, peppers, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the potatoes, tomatoes, tomato sauce, olives, mushrooms, red wine and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Serve with rice.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled beef mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without rice): 253 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 840mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 16g protein.
Oct 25, 2018
This is an amazing dish! The flavour is wonderful. I was looking for something that was different from all of my usual ground beef meals and this one leapt out at me. Even after searching all over the web I found myself coming back to this recipe over and over, so I decided that I’d give it a try. Boy, am I glad I did as this was a loved meal for all. I did do as a previous reviewer had mentioned trying and I sautéed everything in my slow cooker that needed to be fried then flipped the dial to low slow cook and it turned out perfect! Thanks for that thought pennylane9475!
Nov 19, 2016
Great recipe! Spicy! I can't have soy sauce so I substituted coconut aminos. Also added 1 cup beef broth. The potatoes weren't fully cooked so I may pre-cook those next time. The red wine really adds to this recipe IMO.
May 1, 2012
Very very good!!!!!
Oct 20, 2011
I loved the story that accompanied this recipe in the magazine too!
Sep 25, 2011
I made this for my family last week and we all loved it! Great flavors. I might try to put this in the slow cooker.
Sep 17, 2011
This one is a keeper! Easy to prepare and great flavor. I will cut the potatoes even smaller next time (for faster cooking), but that's the only change I will make.