Spanish Beef Hash
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cups chopped sweet yellow, red and/or green peppers
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 small potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2/3 cup chopped pitted green olives
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- Hot cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, peppers, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the potatoes, tomatoes, tomato sauce, olives, mushrooms, red wine and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Serve with rice.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled beef mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without rice): 253 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 840mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 16g protein.
Nov 19, 2016
Great recipe! Spicy! I can't have soy sauce so I substituted coconut aminos. Also added 1 cup beef broth. The potatoes weren't fully cooked so I may pre-cook those next time. The red wine really adds to this recipe IMO.
May 1, 2012
Very very good!!!!!
Oct 20, 2011
I loved the story that accompanied this recipe in the magazine too!
Sep 25, 2011
I made this for my family last week and we all loved it! Great flavors. I might try to put this in the slow cooker.
Sep 17, 2011
This one is a keeper! Easy to prepare and great flavor. I will cut the potatoes even smaller next time (for faster cooking), but that's the only change I will make.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.