- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cups chopped sweet yellow, red and/or green peppers
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 small potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2/3 cup chopped pitted green olives
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- Hot cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, peppers, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the potatoes, tomatoes, tomato sauce, olives, mushrooms, red wine and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Serve with rice.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled beef mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSpanish Beef Hash
"Great recipe! Spicy! I can't have soy sauce so I substituted coconut aminos. Also added 1 cup beef broth. The potatoes weren't fully cooked so I may pre-cook those next time. The red wine really adds to this recipe IMO."
"Very very good!!!!!"
"I loved the story that accompanied this recipe in the magazine too!"
"I made this for my family last week and we all loved it! Great flavors. I might try to put this in the slow cooker."
"This one is a keeper! easy to prepare and great flavor. I will cut the potatoes even smaller next time (for faster cooking), but that's the only change I will make."