Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 4-1/2 cups uncooked whole wheat spiral pasta
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh dill
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the spinach, Parmesan cheese, cream cheese, lemon juice, dill, nutmeg, salt and cayenne; heat through. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup liquid. Toss pasta with spinach mixture, adding some of the reserved pasta liquid if needed. Sprinkle with feta cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 435 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 667mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 11g fiber), 23g protein.
Jul 4, 2017
My husband and I thought this was decent. We both agreed it was far too much spinach, and not enough cream. The flavor was different than I was expecting, but not bad. I'd try this again with different amounts of spinach & cream. Overall, a decent dinner.
Aug 15, 2011
Really enjoyed the flavor of this recipe. It was creamy but not overly so. I love that it tasted really bad for you, but that it's Healthy Cooking! I made the dish as instructed except I did not have dill so I omitted. Wonderful! Will definitely make again.
Aug 12, 2011
Absolutely delicious. Made it with fresh spinach. Daughter & I thought it was fantastic. Threw some chicken on the hubby's plate to keep him happy. Definitely repeatable!!
Aug 5, 2011
So good! I kind of went overboard on the spinach because I had a 16oz bag rather than 10oz box, but it was still addictively tasty.
Jun 2, 2011
Supreme! I'll make this over and over...........we also love spanakopita and this is a wonderful substitute. I used fresh spinach and did cheat with fresh cream instead of fat free milk but followed the recipe other than that. Terrific!!!!
May 28, 2011
My main concern is with the note the cook put at the top. Taste of Home don't you check before you print. the recipe calls for 2 Tbsp. fresh dill and the cook states that you can substitute 2 Tbsp. dried. My teaching is 1 Tbsp. fresh = 1 TEASPOON dried. Made with her suggestion the dill flavor would be overwhelming.
May 25, 2011
I wish the editors would indicate how much pasta to use by package size. I ma going to make this and will re rate it again. it does sound good.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.