Spaghetti Turkey Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 ounces spaghetti
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat stick margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- In a large skillet, cook the turkey, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, basil, fennel seed and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti according to package directions; drain. In a bowl, combine the spaghetti, egg substitute, margarine, Parmesan cheese and parsley flakes. Form a crust in a 9-in. pie plate coated with cooking spray.
- Stir 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese into the turkey mixture; spoon into spaghetti crust. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake 15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting into wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 213 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 296mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Jun 29, 2019
I made this super recipe recently and applaud whoever developed it. The only tweaks I made was to accommodate using what I had on hand. First, I used lean ground beef instead of turkey; I also used an egg and regular butter. I used strips of foil to cover the edge as it baked so the spaghetti noodles wouldn't dry out. This was a big hit as I've already alluded to and it tasted just as good if not better the next day. I predict this will be made frequently in the future.