Spaghetti Turkey Pie
This pretty spaghetti pie from Elnora Johnson from Union City, Tennessee blends well-seasoned ground turkey, cheese, veggies and tomato sauce in a crust formed from spaghetti. It's tasty comfort food your family will request again and again.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 ounces spaghetti
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat stick margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- In a large skillet, cook the turkey, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, basil, fennel seed and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti according to package directions; drain. In a bowl, combine the spaghetti, egg substitute, margarine, Parmesan cheese and parsley flakes. Form a crust in a 9-in. pie plate coated with cooking spray.
- Stir 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese into the turkey mixture; spoon into spaghetti crust. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake 15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting into wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 213 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 296mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Turkey Spaghetti Pie in Taste of Home February/March 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.