Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 3-1/4 hours
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons steak sauce
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- In a Dutch oven, brown ground beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the green pepper, celery, onion and carrots; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 3 to 4 hours to allow flavors to blend, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 191 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 1028mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 3g fiber), 14g protein.
Apr 30, 2015
I gave it two stars for all the veggies in this but it had way too much sage and allspice. Today I am making my own standby recipe with less spices and add it to this to tone it down and so I don't have to waste anything.
Apr 15, 2015
Odd too many flavors
Jul 18, 2011
My whole family loved this spaghetti sauce... even my picky eater! I'll make it again and again.
Dec 7, 2009
This is the best spaghetti sauce I have ever tasted in my life and is very well worth the effort
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.