My grandmother, mom and aunt inspired me to start cooking when I was a young girl. It's still a favorite pastime. This creamy, chow-mein-like casserole is sure to please.
Recommended: 42 Better-for-You Pasta Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 3 celery ribs with leaves, diced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3-1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimientos
- 1 to 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1-1/4 cups broken spaghetti, cooked and drained
- 1 cup finely crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 25 crackers)
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onions and celery in butter over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add the milk, pimientos and soy sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in spaghetti.
- Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cracker crumbs. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Spaghetti Hot Dish in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p50